Unloading one man's crap onto the entire world...

Monday, April 24, 2006

Kota Kinabalu (14th-17th April)

- Trashed by SampahMan @ 12:05 AM

Was at Kota Kinabalu for a weekend vacation last week. Some people like going to a city and enjoying its sights and sounds, some enjoy going back to nature, and some absolutely love going to the beach. Well, this holiday, we did it all. The city of Kota Kinabalu (KK) was actually quite small, it really didn't make much of an impression on me. Nevertheless, we had pretty good seafood there, and tried quite a bit of exotic stuff. Does anyone know what a 'geoduck' is? Now I know :P


Pictured: Black Pepper Crab

The next day, we left for Kota Kinabalu Park, to do the jungle/nature thing. The only regret was that we couldn't go up to the peak of Mount Kinabalu, the tallest mountain in South East Asia (as claimed, although, there seems to be a higher one in Papua New Guinea). Don't think we can tackle it because of our pathetic fitness levels (wait, I am speaking for myself). So to keep ourselves entertained, we went jungle trekking. Ok, it's not much of a jungle trek since there were clearly-marked trails everywhere, all we had to do was follow the road much travelled. But it was fun!


Pictured: The sun through the trees


Pictured: Mt. Kinabalu: Peak among the clouds

The next day, we were off to Manukan Island for the sun and sand! The snorkelling was great! It was only the second time I snorkelled, and this time was much better than the time in Redang Islands. No pictures from my camera, cuz my batteries were out, and I left my charger at home.

We left for KL the next day, and I am pretty sure each of us would we going back to KK someday. In fact, I think most of them have already booked tickets to go next March, and this time, they will be climbing Mt. Kinabalu. Couple of us are even planning to take diving lessons and get certified (RM850 only, who else wants to join?) so that we can go back and dive the Sipadan Islands!

For a few more pics, go to Jack Munster's site.